Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Intentional? Intuitive? Whatever.




Oh, the other day I posted about this cool new eating thing I had found that was very simple. Eat when you’re hungry. Stop when you’re satisfied. Somehow the concept of Intuitive Eating transmogrified in my tiny brain into Intentional Eating. I went on my merry way touting the benefits of Intentional Eating for several days. Yesterday, I realized that it was actually Intuitive Eating. And then I started to laugh as I imagined the alternative to Intentional Eating.

In searching for “Accidental Eating” on google images and on Amazon, I came across accidental tourists, accidental existentialists, accidental mothers, accidental babies, accidental sunglasses, accidental genius, accidental hero, accidental billionaires (how can I become one of those), accidental family, accidental survey, accidental creative (that’s a book written by a guy I know!), and the accidental athlete.

The one thing I didn’t find was any accidental eating going on. Which is to say, I think, that all the eating we do is intentional. Maybe we aren’t really paying attention, but darned if those cheetos are going to jump in my mouth on their own.

Tom Hanks was in a hilarious skit on SNL called “Mr. Short-Term Memory.” He was on a date in a restaurant and couldn’t remember from one second to the next what had just happened. Mr. STM at one point noticed there was food in his mouth. “There SOMETHING IN MY MOUTH!” he cried, wondering what it could be. But even, Tom, yes, Tom, put that food in his mouth, whether or not he could remember it.

So I thought I’d just mention that it’s INTUITIVE eating, INTUITIVE. It has to do with listening to your body, noticing your hunger, your fullness, that sort of thing. It’s not about whether or not the food in your mouth got there under your power. Let’s hope it did. Bon appetit!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess when my eyeballs SAW "Intentional" I READ "intuitive." That's what happens when I see something I'm not expecting, I don't SEE it.

And how do I become one of those accidental billionaires?

Unknown said...

Geez. How did you know that Cheetos are my weakness. They jump in my mouth on a regular basis. :/

Well said; very well said.

Susan Blake said...

Love the post! Thank you for the comment on my blog about McRaney's book. I write a lot about food - stop by again. Hey there is a book called "Savor" by of all people Thich Nhat Hanh - it's about mindful eating - you might enjoy that in regard to your post!
Hugs
Susana