Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Nascar Fans being hit Hard with Gas Increases

I listen to talk radio while I cook supper. Today a well-meaning tree-hugger called in with an idea: Let's have the Guv'ment BAN Nascar for 2 years to SAVE ON GAS. The two hosts thought it was a pretty stupid idea, but I think that was mostly because the guy didn't have any of his ducks in a row. Didn't know how much gas the cars even use. One of the callers after him said HE had heard them Nascar racecars actually get NEGATIVE gas mileage. Didn't explain how that was possible, but wow, what a concept!

Interesting idea, but let's not have the government involved in this, hey? Do we REALLY want to give control of this over to the people who think it's a good idea to spend $41.8 MILLION dollars on a letter to say, hi, you'll be getting an economic stimulus payment sometime, maybe, but we're not going to tell you how much or when. See ya later.

Read more about the woes fans are experiencing here.

Perhaps some of the fans, especially the guy who can't believe his fuel cost is going to actually exceed his BEER cost, might consider not going to the races cause it's expensive to drive big ol' motorhomes that get like 4 mpg.

I admit I'm not a Nascar fan and I wouldn't drive 1/4 mile to see a race. Probably wouldn't even go out the back door if the race was right in my backyard, but I am surely not a Nascar Fan. I also am not denigrating Nascar fans in general, but I have to admit some of them say some pretty amazing things. Nascar is probably pretty darn cool if you like that kind of thing, so there's a place for it.

But, I'd say, let's let the Nascar teams worry about how much the gas is costing, let the motorhome drivers worry about how much it is going to cost to get to the races, and the rest of us can figure out how in the heck we are going to continue to pay those prices at the pump.

I'm feeling like it's time to get creative.

No comments: