Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Doing Things the Hard Way



I have a computer and it has Microsoft Excel on it. I'll bet that's a really cool program, but using Excel for a recent project not only led to me doing 6 times the work, but also I made SIX mistakes. Since this project was about crediting people's tuition accounts, everyone was hoping to get the real amounts. Not only did I make mistakes on SIX accounts, but ONE of them was MINE (shorted myself over $150!). One conscientious person questioned her total and so I redid the project, WITHOUT Excel, and got the right answers. Of course it's not Excel's fault that I don't know how to use it and of course it's not Microsoft's fault that the book I checked out of the library on how to use Excel WASN'T FOR THE MAC.

I'll tell you. Sometimes computers are more trouble than they are worth.

1 comment:

Stephanie M said...

Great Picture! I am feeling bad for you! Excel can be very very good, or very very bad :)